Updated January 17th, 2014 – Albertson’s will be closing 11 underperforming stores in Southern California. Most of these stores will close by February 20th, 2014.
Updated February 24th, 2014 – Albertson’s parent company is in talks to purchase Safeway (Vons is So Cal). Click here for more information.
Here is the list of stores in Southern California that are scheduled to cease operation next month.
- Whittier: 13003 Whittier Blvd.
- Long Beach: 450 Long Beach Blvd.
- Huntington Beach: 9051 Atlantic Blvd.
- Canyon Country (Santa Clarita): 18571 Soledad Canyon Road
- Woodland Hills: 22890 Victory Blvd.
- Moorpark: 475 West Los Angeles Ave.
- Valencia: 26850 North The Old Road
- Monrovia: 725 E. Huntington Drive
- Ontario: 1000 N. Mountain Ave.
- Chula Vista: 2310 Proctor Valley Road
- San Diego: 4421 University Ave.
I will update this when I get some more information… In the meantime, check out these Coupon Matchups for Albertsons, Vons, Stater Bros, Ralphs and more here.
The matchups are updated every Tuesday with the upcoming Weekly Ad.
Other Albertsons locations slated to close include:
- 5 stores in Washington state
- 2 stores in Las Vegas
- 1 store in Phoenix
- 1 store in Albuquerque
All told, Albertsons will be closing a total of 26 stores by February 20th, 2014 (including the Southern California stores mentioned above).
In a news report from Reuters, we’re learning that SuperValu (the parent company of Albertsons) will be closing most of the “underperforming or non-strategic stores” before Dec. 1, the end of its fiscal third quarter.
“The closures will include 27 Albertsons supermarkets in Southern California and the Intermountain West region, 22 Save-A-Lot discount food stores, four Acme supermarkets and one Jewel-Osco grocery stores
Supervalu, the third-largest U.S. supermarket operator, said eight other stores would be closed, but it declined to give details, citing ongoing contractual discussions. Supervalu expects those stores to be closed by Feb. 23, when its fiscal year ends.”
We’ll update this post as we find out more.
All stores listed are expected to close by December.
- Mesmer & Jefferson, Culver City, CA (already closed)
- 7th & Redondo, Long Beach, CA
- Harbor & Garden Grove Blvd., Garden Grove, CA
- Harbor Blvd. & Imperial Hwy., Fullerton, CA
- Dale & La Palma, Buena Park, CA
- Brookhurst & Katella, Anaheim, CA
- Baldwin Hills, Los Angeles, CA
- Central & Chevy Chase, Glendale, CA
- Devonshire & Reseda, Northridge, CA
- Van Nuys & Sherman, Van Nuys, CA
- Bear Valley & Amethyst Roads, Victorville, CA
- Pigeon Pass & Ironwood, Moreno Valley, CA
- Colima & Fairway Drive, Rowland Heights, CA
- Hamner Ave & Hidden Valley Pkw., Norco, CA
- Grove Ave & Walnut Street, Ontario, CA
- Limonite & Clay, Riverside, CA
- Colima Road, Hacienda Heights, CA
- Amar & Nogales, Walnut, CA
- Azusa & Cypress, Covina, CA
The company says the stores closing include 18 Albertsons in Southern California and eight Albertsons in Washington and Oregon. Also targeted: four ACME stores in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland, and 22 Save-A-Lot stores, spread across seven states.
Eight others to be shut were not disclosed because of ongoing contract discussions.
Supervalu previously said it will close an Albertsons in Southern California and Jewel Osco in Indiana.
Thanks, Tamona’s Tips
If you like this deal, see the most recent deals we’ve found here!